"Life is like a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein
The Falls Prevention Clinic was established to help address the very common and massively significant public health problem of falls amongst seniors in Perth. Our aim is to keep you on your feet, so that you can continue to live a life as actively and independently as possible.
- One third of over-65s will have at least one fall in any given year. By 80 years of age, the proportion increases to 50% each year.
- 10% of falls in over-65s result in a serious injury.
- Over 80% of fractures in over 65s are due to falls.
- 12 months after a fractured hip (a common injury in over 65s falls):
- 50% of people will be left with a permanent functional disability
- 25% will require long term care
- 10-25% will have died.
- Falls are the leading cause of death due to injury in over 65s.